Box Lacrosse Referees Needed
The Saanich Lacrosse Association is in need of referees for this upcoming season. Needless to say, referees (and shot clock personnel) are necessary and essential in order to play the game. We are looking to recruit male and female referees of all ages (13+), young and old. No prior experience with the game of lacrosse is required. Please spread the word and anyone with any interest, questions or inquiries is strongly encouraged to contact the Referee in Chief, Ryan White at firstname.lastname@example.orgSome Benefits of Officiating:
The potential benefits of officiating are almost too long to list. There are a number of benefits that are enjoyed by all officials, while other benefits are much more personal and are determined on an individual basis:
1. It is fun, leading to great memories.
2. It pays above minimum wage with flexible scheduling to suit your availability and earnings increase by division (rates listed below).
3. It improves you as a player, coach, parent and/or fan by increasing rule knowledge and providing a deeper understanding of the game.
4. It promotes health, fitness, vision, anticipation, and reaction time.
5. It is a great way to grow and develop character as a person, promoting lifelong skills that are resume building. See below.
(decision-making and judgement skills, work ethic, teamwork, interpersonal communication, people management, leadership, respect, critical thinking through logic and reasoning, relationship building, responsibility, integrity and dependability, self-control and discipline, time management and organization, ability to block out distractions and concentrate, pride and belonging, attention to detail, judgement skills, the ability to be calm and collected under stress, fairness and equality, safety management, courage and confidence, active listening and learning, dedication and commitment, mental toughness and stress tolerance, conflict resolution, perseverance and determination).
6. It increases valuable social interaction leading to lifelong friendships through camaraderie and other valuable contacts or connections for other job opportunities etc.
7. It is a great way to stay actively involved in the sport.
8. Officiating is a way to give back to the community, sport, and kids. The sports official is a role model who is charged with enforcing the concepts of fair play and good sportsmanship. It provides a unique opportunity to positively influence young people and enhance lives.
9. Potential for paid travel opportunities.
10. Potential career paths with room for development. Elite levels get paid hundreds of dollars per game.
My life would not be as enjoyable, or as fulfilled if I did not referee as the sport has been exceptionally good to me. I encourage anybody thinking about taking a referee course to register and keep an open mind of the many wonderful things that refereeing can bring to your life.
Upcoming referee clinic dates are now posted – sessions start February 27th. For more details, go to http://www.saanichlacrosse.com/clubs/1651/pages/45816
Box Lacrosse Officials Game Fee
Payments/Wages Per Division (Subject to Change):
Shot Clock Officials $20
Novice (Minor/Female) $30
PeeWee (Minor/Female) $35
Bantam (Minor/Female) $40
U18/Midget (Minor/Female) $45
Juvenile (Minor) $50
Junior (Female) $50
Senior (Female) $55
Junior B $65
Junior A $105
Senior C $80
Senior B $85
Senior A (WLA) $120+