News and Announcements
Additional ice-breaker sessions for tyke and mini-tyke have been added.
Sunday March 6th at Braefoot Box:
- Mini-tyke will be 10am – 11am
- Tyke will be 11am – noon
All players are welcome to attend but must be wearing a helmet and cage to participate.
Hope to see everyone out as the season approaches!
SHAMROCKS 2016 SPRING BREAK CAMP
Date: March 21-23 (Mon, Tues & Wed) from 9am – 3:30pm
Join your Victoria Shamrocks for their 2016 Spring Break Day Camp! Players will receive daily instruction from Rhys Duch, Corey Small and other Shamrocks players on individual skills, team skills, player development, and game play during the 1/2 day long sessions.
- TYKE & NOVICE – $165 + GST (AGES 7-10) (9AM-12)
- PEE WEE & BANTAM – $185 + GST (AGES 11-14) (12:30-3:30)
Campers are guaranteed to receive 9 hours (Tykes & Novice 8:30-noon) (Pee Wee & Bantam 12:30-3:30) of practice and instruction on the Eagle Ridge Arena Floor, as well as training to promote field agility and community centre activities by Shamrocks players.
All registered campers will receive a Shamrocks themed pinnie, game ticket to a Shamrocks home game and other goodies.
Please find information on the event, online registration, and more at http://www.victoriashamrocks.com/kids-camps/.
Coaching Clinic Registration
Coaching clinics are now available for registration.
A reminder that anyone Coaching from Mini-Tyke to Peewee must take the Community Development Level 1 course (if they haven’t already).
Anyone coaching Bantam to Senior Levels, must take the Competitive Introduction Level 2 course (if Level 1 has already been completed).
To register for a regular coaching clinic, please email Head Coach Ken Passfield at email@example.com.
The list of clinics can be found here – https://bcla.imeetcentral.com/bcla/doc/37648568/?&pgref.
In addition, the Vancouver Island Commission has arranged for Paul Dal Monte to offer a FREE interactive Coaching Session on the Island.
• Sunday, March 6th in Victoria Register 9:30-12 – Tsawout Multipurpose Room at 7728 Tetayut Rd, Saanichton, BC (off the Pat Bay highway at Mt Newton X Road intersection McDonalds and Waddling Dog side) and 1-4pm – Tsawout Gymnasium (same building).
This session will be of benefit to coaches from all levels of experience. This is not a certification course, but rather an opportunity for sharing and learning practical coaching skills. There will be no cost to any coaches, just bring a pen, some paper and your stick.
To register, please email Linda Cretney at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, association, and coaching experience.
An overview is below:
• Provide insight, ideas and perspective into teaching core fundamentals
• Provide practical tools to assist coaching efforts
• Inspire and encourage young coaches to stay involved in the game
• Help growth and improvement of the game
• Support BCLA/CLA Coaching Certification / Professional Development Program
Agenda / Overview
• Focus on the game’s core FUNDAMENTALS
• Classroom: 25 – 40 slides to review core fundamentals and teaching principles, and provide context and foundation for on-floor session
• On-Floor: run players or coaches through a “practice” session using variety of drills as practical teaching tools
• Approach: to complement and enhance what coaches may already know and what is taught in certification program
Possible Topics – “Base Level”
• Organizational Tools – practice plan, game-day line-ups, stats tracking, and rationale (samples provided)
• Fundamentals – passing/shooting, catching, loose balls, & teaching principles and progression
• Transition Game – fundamentals / key coaching points, D to O, O to D, & teaching principles and progression
• Pick & Roll – fundamentals, setting/receiving pick, & teaching progression
Additional Topics For Consideration
• Power Play / Short Man – fundamentals & core principles
• Defense – fundamentals & core principles
• 2 vs. 1 / 3 vs. 2 – fundamentals & core principles & teaching progression (offense & defence)
• Offense – fundamentals & core principles
Just a reminder that ice-breakers start this weekend. All sessions will be held at the Pearkes Fieldhouse.
Please note that the female ice-breaker session scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 6 has been cancelled. Female players can refer the “Female Lacrosse" page on the site to find out dates for the city-wide ice-breakers.
Mini-Tyke / Tyke:
Saturday, Feb. 6 from 1-2pm
Sunday, Feb. 7 from 1-2pm
Saturday, Feb. 6 from 2-3pm
Sunday, Feb. 7 from 2-3pm
Wednesday, Feb. 10 from 8-9pm
Wednesday, Feb. 10 from 9-10pm
Looking forward to seeing everyone out on the floor!
Saanich Lacrosse Executive
Hi Saanich Lacrosse families,
Just a few reminders for some important information as the season approaches:
• Registration is open and if you have not registered yet, please do so as soon as possible.
• Ice-breakers start the weekend of Feb. 6.
• The evaluation schedule is out and evaluations start as early as Feb. 13.
• For more information on evaluations (and ice-breakers) please see this page of the website – http://goo.gl/9Kkr5f
• The City-wide lacrosse gear exchange is this Saturday, Jan. 30 at Pearkes from noon to 2pm. In addition to equipment, Saanich Lacrosse clothing and in-person registration will be available.
The season is right around the corner!
Saanich Lacrosse Executive